Chelm Chalck mining ,
- General description:
Cellars cut out in the chalck under the inner-city of Chelm. The
Chalck was used for chalck to write on black-boards. Later the
cellars connected and were used for shelter. The earliest records of
the workings date back to the 16th century. The mining took place in
several levels, some as deep as 20 metres below the surface. The
route for tourists is about 2 kilometres long and lasts about 1 hour.
English, German or Russian speaking guides need to be booked a day in
advance. The shop at the entrance offers very good souvenirs and
books on the chalck mine.
- Subjects of interest:
- Shelter, Chalck mining,
- Countries of interest:
- Subterranean visit: Yes
- Information on sale: Yes
- Disabled entrance : Yes
- Entrance fee : Unknown
- Opening information:
- Dates and times:
- On working days from 9:00 till 17:00. On Sundays and holidays from
10:00 till 16:00.
- Days of the week : MTWTFSS
- First opened in 1972
- Chelm Chalk mining, Labirynt S.C.
- Ul. Lubelska 55a
- 22-100 Chelm
- 00 48 82 565 2530
- 00 48 82 565 1185
Back to the Souterrains homepage (www.souterrains.org)
Souterrains accepts no responsibility for errors in this information.
This information can be used with reference to the source and author.
Page automatically generated by computer database at: 7/05/2005